John Kimoff, MD
Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre
Regular Member Respiratory Health
McGill University Health Centre (MUHC)
Associate Professor of Medicine (tenured)
My research focuses on obstructive sleep apnea, a condition characterized by repeated episodes of interrupted breathing during sleep due to blockage of the airway and understanding why the airway closes during sleep, and how the episodes of breathing interruption affect daytime alertness, thinking and energy levels, as well as the functioning of the heart and blood vessel system and some hormones. I am studying this in several different patient groups including patients with neurologic disease (multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease), patients with chronic heart failure, and in pregnant women who may also develop sleep apnea during pregnancy. I am also working to understand how best to treat sleep apnea when it occurs and minimize the complications that apnea can cause.
- mechanisms and consequences of upper airway dysfunction during sleep, role of afferent/efferent neuropathy, and inflammatory mechanisms
- effects of OSA on sleepiness, fatigue and neurocognitive outcomes in Multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease. Currently conducting randomized, sham-CPAP controlled trial on treatment of OSA in MS patients
- maternal OSA and adverse outcomes of pregnancy. Recent observational/case-control studies on maternal OSA and gestational hypertension, gestational diabetes and low infant birth weight; initiating controlled trials on treatment of OSA in pregnancy and effects on maternofetal outcomes
- collaborative studies w/ endocrinology& metabolism group on OSA and insulin resistance/metabolic function
- effects of treatment of Sleep-disordered breathing on refractory hypertension and on composite cardiovascular outcomes in congestive heart failure (ADVENT-HF trial)
Sleep apnea, upper airway, neuromuscular, clinical outcomes, cardiometabolic, congestive heart failure, pregnancy
Pamidi S, Pinot L, Marc I, Schwartman K, Benedetti A, Kimoff RJ. "Maternal sleep-disordered breathing and adverse pregnancy outcomes: a systematic review and metaanalysis". AJOG 2013; Vol 209; doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2013.07.033
Côté I, Trojan DA, Kaminska M, Cardoso M, Benedetti A, Weiss D, Robinson A, Bar-Or A, Lapierre Y, Kimoff RJ. "Impact of Sleep Disorder Treatment on Fatigue in Multiple Sclerosis" Mult Sclerosis J 2013; 19(4): 480-9.
Jobin V, Rigau J, Beauregard J, Farre R, Monserrat J, Bradley TD, Kimoff RJ. "Evaluation of upper airway patency during Cheyne-Stokes breathing in heart failure patients". Eur Resp J 2012; 40(6): 1523-30
Kimoff RJ, Hamid Q, Divangahi M, Hussain S, Bao W, Naor N, Payne RJ, Ariyarajah A, Mulrain K, Petrof BJ. "Increased Upper Airway Cytokine Expression and Oxidative Stress in Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea". Eur Respir J 2011; 38:89-97.
Champagne, K., K. Schwartzman, L. Opatrny, P. Barriga, L. Morin, A. Mallozzi, A. Benjamin, R.J. Kimoff. "Obstructive sleep apnea and its association with gestational hypertension." Eur Respir J 2009; 33(3):559-65.