Located at the centre of the Glen hospital of the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC), the Cardiopulmonary Functional Testing Platform offers researchers a wide range of services to assess patients’ cardiopulmonary function, as well as access to state-of-the-art functional testing equipment for clinical research projects. Upon request, our fully qualified health professionals are available to support your cardiopulmonary clinical research.
Services offered in the Cardiopulmonary Functional Testing Platform include:
- Exercise testing
- Four (4) stations for cardiopulmonary exercise testing
- Physiological response assessments to exercise with breath-by-breath gas exchange and ventilation
- Incremental or constant load exercise protocol capabilities
- Post-analysis software to determine VO2 peak, anaerobic threshold, and much more.
- Exercise training
- Supervision of aerobic exercise training sessions
- Pulmonary function assessments
- Multiple mobile and stationary pulmonary function testing equipment, including body plethysmograph
- Spirometry, plethysmography, diffusion capacity and much more
- Resting energy expenditure testing
- Using indirect calorimetry energy expenditure
- Walking tests
- Areas 30 metres in length for walking tests
- Body composition analysis
- Using bioimpedance analysis (BIA) and dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA)
- Sleep laboratories
- Polysomnography (PSG) and electroencephalography (EEG) recording services
- Bronchoscopy services
- Equipment and process training
- Technical assistance
- Our highly trained health professionals are available to support clinical trials by managing patient tests, setting up equipment, ensuring calibration and maintenance of equipment, and much more.
Did you know?
The Cardiopulmonary Functional Testing Platform may be used in conjunction with other clinical research platforms at the RI-MUHC. The Imaging Platform can provide complementary measures of lung volume and body composition. The Simulation Laboratory can provide overlap with physiological measures. The Processing Laboratory can obtain blood lactate levels during exercise or a measure of arterial blood gases. Contact us to find out more about how our integrated Clinical research services can facilitate your clinical trials.
About the McConnell Centre for Innovative Medicine
Clinicians and clinician scientists at the Research Institute of the MUHC (RI-MUHC) benefit from one of the most modern facilities in North America. The McConnell Centre for Innovative Medicine was designed to help them develop and evaluate new treatments for some of the world's most critical diseases. Researchers may select from a full range of clinical research services in a state-of-the-art environment dedicated to clinical research, with access to project management of multicentre trials, clinical trials management, quality control monitoring, clinical data management and statistics, and specialized personnel and equipment also dedicated solely to research. Contact RI MUHC staff to learn more, or visit the clinical research section of our website.