Business Development Office
The Business Development Office (BDO) at the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre (RI-MUHC) assists researchers in finding funding opportunities, preparing grant proposals, identifying and pursuing commercialization opportunities, and creating partnerships.
Business development services
Services offered by the Business Development Office (BDO) include:
- We maintain a database of current funding opportunities
- We match research teams with grant opportunities aligned with their science
- We assist with leveraging and obtaining matching funds
- We initiate, structure and support large team grants
Preparation of grant proposals
- We provide grant writing support, including conducting scientific review and establishing project management structure for applications
- We develop and review budgets
- We liaise with funding agencies
- We prepare institutional letters of support
Business development and commercialization
- We identify market opportunities for novel technologies
- We facilitate technology transfer and the creation of start-up companies
- We conduct competitive benchmarking analyses
- We work with researchers to acquire proof-of-concept funds
- We secure funding through partnerships with industry, government and non-profits
- We maintain relationships with hospital foundations and other non-traditional funding agencies
These are just a few examples of recent successes in business development at the RI-MUHC.
Precision screening tool for early diagnosis of ovarian and endometrial cancers developed through innovative partnerships
Together, ovarian and endometrial cancers represent the fourth leading cause of cancer-related deaths among Canadian women. Although more than 80% of these patients can be cured if their cancer is detected early, most women are only diagnosed after the cancer...
Bringing an innovative retinal gene therapy to clinic
Imagine a world devoid of colour, a world where the smile of a loved one is indistinguishable from a black abyss. This world is the everyday reality for people suffering from Zellweger spectrum disorder (ZSD). Affecting around 2,000 people worldwide...
New target for cystic fibrosis drug development: Ceramides
Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a deadly respiratory disease characterized by thick mucus in the lungs. This mucus becomes colonized by pathogens and initiates a vicious cycle of infection and inflammation. Although no effective therapeutic options for CF exist...