null Reducing confusion about the coronavirus (COVID-19)
RI-MUHC researchers provide expertise and advice
Published Apr. 3, 2020 | Updated Apr. 7, 2020
Source: RI-MUHC. When Premier Legault and Quebec’s director of public health exhorted young people last month to avoid “exchanges of biological liquids,” the newspaper Le Devoir sought clarification from Dr. Don Vinh, a scientist at the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre (RI-MUHC) and medical microbiologist at the MUHC. In the same week, Dr. Vinh contributed his expertise to a COVID-19 FAQ for La Presse. It wasn’t because he had time on his hands.
In this turbulent period for healthcare research, members of the RI-MUHC are refocusing their resources to launch the fast-track initiatives and clinical trials needed to learn about the SARS-CoV-2 virus and defeat COVID-19. However, they know it is just as vital to help the public understand and protect themselves in the midst of a pandemic. These are only a few of the media in which RI-MUHC researchers were interviewed in the past weeks.
- Marcel Behr: “Confronting COVID-19: A special webcast with McGill health experts,” McGill Reporter; related Alumni Webcasts of March 19 and March 31
- Reza Farivar-Mohseni: “Montreal hospitals launch ventilator design challenge amid coronavirus pandemic,” Global News; “McGill University research institute launches global contest to find new ventilator designs,” CBC News
- Jason Harley: “Feeling anxious is normal: researcher,” Let's Go with Sabrina Marandola, CBC Radio
- Jason Harley and Tina Montreuil: “Managing anxiety during a pandemic: A webcast with McGill experts,” McGill News, Alumni Webcast
- Christos Karatzios: “Coronavirus: Self-isolating is a must for snowbirds returning home,” Montreal Gazette
- Chen Liang: “Les chercheurs d’ici mobilisés," La Presse
- Emily McDonald and Todd C. Lee: “Une étude montréalaise teste l’hydroxychloroquine sur des volontaires,” La Presse; “Quebec health institute advises caution in use of hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19,” CBC News
- Tina Montreuil: “Tips for managing anxiety during the COVID-19 pandemic,” The Globe and Mail; “Coronavirus anxiety is a normal response. Here are ways to cope,” Montreal Gazette; “Managing anxiety during the COVID-19 pandemic,” CTV; “Enfants et adolescents : comment les aider à surmonter leurs angoisses?” Radio-Canada
- Jesse Papenburg: “Effect of social distancing measures will take time to appear, experts say,” National Post
- Caroline Quach: “Émission spéciale sur la COVID-19,” Les années lumières, Radio-Canada
- Donald Vinh: “Que sont ces «produits biologiques» susceptibles de propager le coronavirus?” Le Devoir; “Pour tout savoir sur l'origine du nouveau coronavirus,” La Presse; “COVID-19 and What you Need to Know Now: Mitigating the Spread and its Impact on Canadians Affected by a Blood Cancer,” Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Canada webinar; “Environ 25% des personnes infectées seraient asymptomatiques,” Le Devoir