Sonia Semenic, RN, PhD
Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre
Regular Member Health Outcomes
McGill University Health Centre (MUHC)
Medical ScientistNurse Scientist, MUHC Women's Health Mission
Associate Professor, Ingram School of Nursing
My research focuses on: breastfeeding promotion and support, the implementation of the WHO's Baby-Friendly initiative, the evaluation of Quebec's breastfeeding policies and programs, perinatal smoking cessation and relapse prevention, and factors influencing the implementation and sustainability of evidence-based nursing practices. The title of my FRSQ Chercheur-boursier research program is "Enhancing knowledge translation in perinatal health: Identifying individual, organizational, socio-cultural and political factors related to the implementation of evidence-informed practices in perinatal health promotion".
- assessment and improvement of practices related to screening and referrals for parental smoking among hospital-based perinatal nurses
- barriers and facilitators to the implementation of the WHO's Baby-Friendly Initiative (BFI) in different organizational contexts
- barriers and facilitators to implementing evidence-based breastfeeding support in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- development of indicators and assessment tools to monitor compliance with the BFI in different health care settings
- factors influencing the sustainability of nursing practice changes following the implementation of clinical practice guidelines
- comparison of contextual factors influencing the implementation of evidence-based nursing practices in developed (Canada) versus low- and middle-income countries (Colombia)
perinatal health, breastfeeding, Baby-Friendly Initiative, evidence-based practice, knowledge translation
Debruyn, R., Semenic, S., Ochoa, C. Barriers and facilitators to evidence-based nursing in Medellín, Colombia: Perspectives of nurse educators, nurse researchers and graduate students. Investigación y Educación en Enfermería - Nursing Research and Education (accepted October 2013).
Kayser, J. & Semenic, S. Smoking motives, quitting motives and opinions about smoking cessation support among expectant or new fathers. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 24(3), 149-157S
Dodds, L., Brown, C.L., Attenborough, R., Bryanton, J., Elliott Rose, A., Flowerdew, G., Langille, D., Lauzon, L. & Semenic, S. (2013). The rates, duration, and determinants of exclusive breastfeeding to six months in Nova Scotia women. CMAJ Open, e9-e17.
Semenic, S., Childerhose, J.E., Lauziere, J. & Groleau, D. (2012). Barriers, facilitators, and recommendations related to implementing the Baby-Friendly Initiative (BFI): An integrative review. Journal of Human Lactation, 28(3) (August: Special issue on the BFHI), 317-34.
Edwards, N., Semenic, S., Premji, S., Montgomery, P., Williams, B., Olson, J., Mansi, O. (2008). Provincial Prenatal Record Revision: A multiple case study of evidence-based decision-making at the population-policy level (protocol). BMC Health Services Research, 8, 266.